Warren was settled in 1736 at the head of the tidewaters of the St. George River. The settlement was about 30,000 acres. On Nov. 7th 1776 the settlement was incorporated as the Town of Warren.
In the “Annals of Warren” we read, “the difficulty in raising the minister’s salary and assessing taxes, together with the desire of participating with other towns in the measures of the revolution, induced the inhabitants of the Upper town on St. Georges’s to petition to be incorporated. Their petition was granted; and on the 7th of November, 1776, the said plantation was incorporated into a town, and, in honor of Dr. Joseph Warren, who had the preceding year fallen so gloriously on Bunker Hill, was named Warren.”
Today Warren has a population of 4751 people. The town has a volunteer fire department, ambulance service, public library and a post office. It also has a town manager, five selectmen and the annual town meeting is in March of each year.
Warren is a mostly residential community with easy access to surrounding communities by way of Rt. 1, Rt. 90, Rt. 17, Rt. 235 and Rt. 131. It is approximately 50 minutes east of Augusta and 45 minutes southwest of Belfast.
Much of the village area of Warren is served by the Warren Sanitary District sewer system and Aqua Maine Water Company.
Electricity for the town is supplied by Central Maine Power Company, phone service by TDS Telecom and Verizon and cable television by Adelphia/Time Warner.
Warren Community School is located in Warren and includes grades K through 6 from RSU 40/MSAD 40. Grades 7 & 8 attend school at the Medomak Middle School in Waldoboro and Grades 9 through 12 attend Medomak Valley High School in Waldoboro. The School Superintendent’s Office can be reached at 785-2277 during normal business hours.
North Pond, South Pond, Crawford Lake and Seven Tree Pond all provide opportunities for camping, boating, fishing and swimming. The St. George River provides a wonderful setting for kayaking or canoeing.