Most teens and adults are self-conscious and traditional “train-track” braces simply do not appeal to them. However, recent developments in the orthodontic world have brought solutions for such insecurities. One of which is the Lingual or Incognito Braces.
What are Lingual Braces?
Lingual braces are subtle treatment options for crooked teeth that utilize a similar wire and bracket system to the traditional metal braces. The major difference comes in that the brackets are placed behind the teeth where you rest your tongue. This means that the braces are out of sight from your friends and colleagues as you smile and talk. You will only blow your cover if you open your mouth too wide.
The lingual braces are customized for each patient allowing for excellent results to be achieved. The correction will also occur over a shorter period of time. The customization allows the invisible braces to be used for all age groups without much of a hassle.
So, what’s all the buzz about lingual braces?
There are several brands that offer these subtle treatment options. Records from the British Orthodontics Society show that over 700 clinics offer this option in their teeth-straightening services. Here are some of the pros of using lingual braces:
- They are virtually invisible – The most obvious advantage to the braces is that they are subtle in nature. No one will ever know that your mouth is wired with braces unless they closely watch you as you speak.
- They are suitable for all orthodontic treatments – Lingual braces are applied in all treatments required for teeth straightening. This is achieved due to their custom-made nature allowing for personally tailored results.
- They are custom-made to fit – Most lingual braces come in standard parts that are easily adjusted in the orthodontic laboratories to provide custom-made options. Specialized treatment allows for faster and more effective results.
- Most of the lingual braces are made of gold alloys – The buccal braces are less likely to cause allergic reactions as compared to their nickel-based counterparts in traditional braces.
- Mistakes during treatment are also discrete – Poor dental hygiene during treatment may result in decalcification and discoloration of teeth. The fact that the brackets are behind the teeth means that the teeth white spots that develop from poor oral hygiene may also not be visible.
- Lingual braces are suitable for all age groups – The braces are highly effective for all ages due to their customizable nature.
Need to know about Lingual Braces:
They may be uncomfortable – Most users complain of cuts and swellings on the tongue courtesy of the brackets behind the teeth. Most customers take 2-3 weeks to adjust to the new fittings with some recording acute pain.
Slurry speech – The braces may affect how you speak causing a slur while pronouncing some words.
Relies on the expertise of the orthodontist – Not every orthodontist can offer the service as the procedure requires additional training and certification. You need to find an orthodontist who is specially trained to fix them.
Why Incognito Braces are a favorite?
Just like Invisalign has become a household name for invisible braces, Incognito has for over 40 years been recognized as the best brand in lingual braces. The hidden braces are produced by the parent company 3M from their German plant.
Incognito braces are completely custom made in an orthodontic laboratory. Detailed scans and impressions of your mouth are taken to find the precise measurements. A robotic arm is then used to craft and calibrate the wire in place. This allows for ultimate precision to be achieved.
The incognito lite brace line offers an alternative to the full-mouth orthodontic treatments. These braces are fitted on the first 6-8 teeth on one or both jaws. This option is cheaper than the full treatment and is ideal for patients who are particularly unhappy with their front teeth.
Cost of Lingual Braces in The UK
Lingual braces are quite expensive here in the UK. Standard brands will set you back around £2000 – £3000. Custom-made lingual braces are the most expensive with the price ranging from £4000 -£10000. Incognito braces for the full treatment option average about 7500 while the Incognito lite is about £4500.
To make the best decision, consult your dentist on all options available, your ideal treatment and how you can finance the cost as many orthodontists offer finance plans.