Here at Seasons of Smiles Dental we have the recommendations for good oral hygiene.
- Brush your teeth twice a day. Replace your toothbrush every three or four months, or sooner if the bristles are frayed. A worn toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
- Floss once a day. Tooth decay causing bacteria still linger between teeth where toothbrush bristles can reach. This helps remove the sticky film on teeth called plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Scrape your tongue. The tongue has about 300 types of bacteria and these germs are responsible for 90 percent of bad breath. After brushing your teeth, scrape the tongue with a tongue scraper. Scraping helps prevent bad breath and prevents colds from spreading. Tongue scraping limits the amount of bacteria that moves up into the nasal passages.
- Chew sugarless gum. If you aren’t able to brush after every meal, chewing sugarless gum helps maintain healthy teeth. Sugarless gum increases the production of saliva. Saliva washes away a significant amount of bacteria.
- Eat a balanced diet. Limit between-meal snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.